Richard qualified in 1988 having trained with a leading City Law firm and subsequently practised with a large Birmingham law firm. Richard’s experience and extensive knowledge of all matters relating to employment means that he can give his clients strategic and practical advice. Richard acts for both employers and employees guiding clients through what they might encounter in the workplace.
Richard can help you with a wide range of issues including:
- Settlement Agreements (formerly Compromise Agreements)
- Drafting Employment contracts, Executive Agreements and Policy Manuals
- Advising and negotiation of termination packages
- Advising on employment aspects of business transfers (TUPE)
- Unfair dismissal, unlawful deductions from wages, and breach of contract claims
- Redundancy procedures
- Grievance and disciplinary procedures
- Allegations of discrimination, victimisation and harassment,
- Managing performance and sickness absences
- Negotiation and drafting of consultancy agreements
- Sports law advice for governing bodies, clubs, coaches, and individuals
Richard heads up the Sports Law Unit at Blythe Liggins which advises individuals and governing bodies on a wide range of issues.
Richard is a former England rugby union international and Cambridge Rugby Blue who represented Cambridge University on the RFU Committee. He became a privileged member of the RFU in 2006 and was recently elected Secretary of the Privileged Members Association. He is also a former Chairman of the RFU Disciplinary panel in the Midlands. Amongst those who have consulted Richard for specialist advice are international rugby coaches, international athletics coaches and county cricket coaches, as well as footballers and rugby players.
Richard remains a keen sportsman and is Chairman of Ashorne & Moreton Morrell Cricket Club. He can be heard commentating on rugby matches for BBC CWR local radio and Five Live Sports Extra. He enjoys classical and contemporary music. Richard is a former Trustee of Myton Hospices.
Get in touch with Richard to find out if he can help you with your employment or sports law queries.